At QLC, food is our specialty in and out of the office. Our creative director, Patrick, takes his creativity from the office to the kitchen with our Recipe of the Month: Patrick’s Warm and Wintery Squash Soup. Get the recipe below.
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 medium acorn squash
- ½ cup apple cider
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. Tabasco
- ½ cup sour cream for garnish
- ½ cup crumbled bacon for garnish
- ½ cup diced scallions for garnish
- Cook the butternut and acorn squash with brown sugar and salt and pepper in the oven at 350 degrees until done. (poke with fork to determine when it’s tender)
- Remove the squash from the oven and let cool slightly. Then scoop it into a large soup pot. Do not turn the heat on yet.
- Next add apple cider, whipping cream, butter, Tabasco, and salt and pepper and stir thoroughly.
- Then once stirred use an immersion blender (or carefully transfer to a mixing bowl and use a mixer) to blend the soup into a smooth bisque-like consistency.
- Set the heat to medium low and stir occasionally until fully heated through.
- To plate, ladle the soup into a flat bowl and garnish with the bacon and scallions and a drizzle of sour cream. (NOTE: for the sour cream use a pastry bag with a fine tip, or put it into a ziplock bag and cut a small hole in one corner of the bag.)